This program was created for those who are unable to join us once a week for our monthly lesson program.
Participants often travel from other parts of Washington or even fly in from other states to visit us.
For the safety and comfort of both horse and rider:
Minimum height: 4 ft 8 inches- 6 ft Weight limit: 160-180 lbs
-Want to get the most out of an upcoming Icelandic horse vacation or still reeling from coming back -Have a dream of Icelandic horse ownership but are not sure how to go about it.
-Curious about the breed and want to meet one in person without traveling all the way to Iceland.
-Have an Icelandic but stuck in a rut or want to take riding to the next level
We can customize the program to suit your needs.
We do all 4 hours of instruction in 1 day or split it into 2 hours/day for 2 days instead of a month.
Two-person minimum. If you are not arriving as a pair, we can pair you with another participant.
Your experience can include:
- Icelandic Horse Basics: Learn about their history, character, and what makes the breed special.
- Explanation and demonstration of Icelandic horse gaits
- Rider Assessment & Instruction on the Ground: From tack selection to checking your balance, hands, and leg position, we'll make sure you're ready to ride and provide recommendations as needed before introducing a horse to the equation.
- Horsemanship Experience in the Round Pen: Learn to read a horse's personality and body language while directing it both on a lead rope and at liberty.
- Icelandic Riding Experience: Try one or two Icelandic horses in our 60-foot round arena and ride in longer lines on the mini track at a walk/tolt. When you are able to do the basics, ride with an instructor working on transitions, tempo/rhythm, responsiveness, turns, etc. beautiful park trails.
- Horse/Human Enrichment- Horse Grooming and Massage, Horse Feeding in the Pasture, Horse Training Tricks
Especially for Horse Owners:
- Natural Horse-Keeping of Pairs and the Herd (corral panels and hot wiring)
- Training Area Options: Covered round pen, mini track, long track
- Saddle and Bit Options for Icelandic Horses: Dressage, treeless, gaited, international, and more
- Gait Training and Conditioning Made Easy
- Hoof Trims, Weighted Boots, and using Poles to gait better